Lavash Cracker Bread
- 1 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
In a large bowl, stir together the water, whole wheat flour, and yeast until moistened. Mix in the salt and 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Gradually mix in the rest of the flour using a mixer with a dough hook attachment or wooden spoon.
When the dough comes together, knead in your mixer or on a floured surface for 8 to 10 minutes to make an elastic ball. Add more flour or water if needed to keep dough from getting sticky or too stiff. Pour a little bit of oil in the bowl and turn the dough to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Punch down the dough and divide into 30 pieces about the size of small walnuts. Rolling the dough into a long log helps to divide it evenly. Roll each piece into a ball and cover with a damp kitchen towel for 30 minutes to rest.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Place a baking sheet on the center rack of the oven so it can preheat at the same time. Do not grease.
Roll each ball into a circle about 8 inches across. The dough should be paper thin, almost translucent. If they are too thick, they will bubble up like pita breads.
Pull out the oven shelf and place as many crackers on your baking sheet as you can fit, 2 or 3. Close the oven and bake for about 3 minutes. The crackers should be lightly browned on the top with small bubbles. You may have to adjust your thickness for the next batch.
Cinnamon Sugar Cheesecake Roll-Ups (A Moment of Indulgence)
Calories: 210 / Carbs: 30
This recipe makes 2 roll-ups. These are so amazing! Totally worth the indulgence. These are like little bites of cinnamon cheesecake with a crunchy crust. Who wouldn't love that? You will fall in love with this easy yet impressive treat!
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 Tbsp light cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Preheat toaster oven to 350. (Can also be made in a regular oven) Line small, flat oven safe dish with parchment paper, set aside.
Cut off bread crusts. Using a rolling pin or heavy glass, roll bread out so it is thin.
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and icing sugar until well mixed. Spread evenly on 2 slices of bread.
Roll up, jelly roll style, gently pressing to seal seam.
Using a pastry or basting brush, brush all over with melted butter.
In a small dish, combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over the bread that has been brushed with the melted butter. Place on prepared baking tray, seam side down.
Bake for approx 7 minutes, gently flip over, and bake 7 minutes more.
Remove from oven and let sit for 2 - 3 minutes. Eat as is or slice in half and serve. (Be careful, filling will be hot!)
Easy Crispy Quesadilla’s (THM-S, Low Carb)
A crispy, crunchy chicken and cheese quesadilla that is full of flavor!
- 1/2 Joseph's Lavash Bread can also be found at many WalMarts
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cooked Chicken or Turkey
- 1/4 - 1/3 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Sprinkle of Garlic Salt
- Sprinkle of Taco Seasoning
- Coconut Oil Spray
- Lightly spray a non-stick skillet with coconut oil and turn to medium heat.
- While pan is heating, place your chicken (or turkey) and shredded cheese on one half of your 1/2 Lavash.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt and taco seasoning.
- Fold over and fry in skillet, flipping to brown on both sides.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Turkey Aram Sandwiches
- 1 sheet lavash bread
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, plus more for sealing the sandwiches
- 3 large leaves butter lettuce
- 6 slices turkey
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 Haas avocado, peeeled, pitted, and sliced
With a damp paper towel, moisten the lavash so that it is pliable and easy to roll.
Spread the cream cheese evenly across the lavash. Place lettuce leaves evenly on top of the cream cheese layer. Distribute the turkey, tomato, and avocado across the lavash sheet.
Starting from the bottom of the sheet, gently roll the lavash into a roll. Seal the edges with a little bit of cream cheese to prevent them from unrolling.
Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and slice roll into 4-6 pieces, depending on the thickness of the sandwich you want. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Lavash Pizza with a Salad of Greens, Gorgonzola, and Toasted Almonds
- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 pieces of lavash bread, cut into 8 by 12-inch rectangles
- 6 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 cups baby salad greens
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola or other blue-veined cheese, crumbled
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake until light golden (if using blanched), 8 to 10 minutes. Chop the almonds coarsely (this can be done several hours in advance). Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. This can be done several hours in advance. Five to ten minutes before serving, place one sheet of the lavash on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until it just begins to take on a light golden color, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the grated mozzarella onto the top distributing evenly. Place the lavash in the oven again and bake until the cheese is melted and the lavash is golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
In the meantime, toss the salad greens and almonds with the vinaigrette. When the lavash is golden and crisp, remove from the oven and top with one-quarter of the salad. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the Gorgonzola onto the top. Cut into squares or rough shapes and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining ingredients making 4 lavash pizzas in total.
- 2 cups julienned fresh vegetables
- 1 whole-wheat, extra-thin lavash bread
- 3 tablespoons shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream, for serving
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added pico de gallo or no-salt-added salsa, such as Enrico's, for serving
In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the vegetables until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. On a warm griddle, place the lavash bread and let the side facing the heat get hot. Turn the bread over on the griddle, and sprinkle the cheese on the top side. On half of the top side, spread the sautéed vegetables and cilantro, if using.
When the cheese begins to melt, fold the bread in half to cover the vegetables. Press firmly using a tool like a large firm spatula or the bottom of a pan. Flip, cook for about 2 minutes, and press. Remove from the heat. Cut the quesadilla into 4 pieces. Serve 2 pieces per person with fat-free sour cream and pico de gallo on the side.