MINI MEDITERRANEAN TUNA PITA WRAPS
Is anyone else obsessed with Mediterranean flavors? The flavors are so bold, clean, and bright… it’s healthy without feeling healthy (that’s the best kind, isn’t it?!). These Mini Mediterranean Tuna Pita Wraps. They pack a powerful flavor punch and can be easily made at the moment by guests when they’re hungry (with all the components very quickly prepped by you before anyone arrives). It’s the perfect easy entertaining lunch recipe!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 1x
- 4 small pitas
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans StarKist Selects EVOO tuna
- Israeli Salad (recipe below)
- Tzatziki (recipe below)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- Green leaf lettuce
For the Israeli Salad
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Tzatziki
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber, peeled
1 lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Report this ad
Place tuna, Israeli salad, tzatziki, chickpeas, olives, and lettuce on pita. Fold and devour.
Roasted Cauliflower Pitas
- 2 garlic naans/pita breads
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 4-6 baby red potatoes quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup tahini sesame seed paste
- 2 tbsp cup lukewarm water or more for consistency.
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or more to taste
- Salt to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- For serving
- Mixed greens or lettuce
- Tomatoes sliced
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Lemon wedges
Preheat the oven to 425F degrees and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Cauliflower on one side of the baking dish and the potatoes on the other side. Add the olive oil, ground cumin, paprika, coriander, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and toss both the potatoes and the cauliflower with the oil and seasoning separately.
Make sure not to over crowd the baking dish, or you may want to use two separate ones. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until potatoes and cauliflower are crispy and golden.
To make the Garlic Lemon Tahini Sauce, whisk all the ingredients together until you reach a creamy consistency. Taste and adjust as you desire.
To assemble the pitas, lay them open on aluminum foil and heat the pita in the oven for a couple minutes. Add potatoes and cauliflower to the pitas, drizzle with the sauce and add the mixed greens, tomatoes, and parsley, if you desire.
Enjoy warm immediately out of the oven.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 774kcal | Carbohydrates: 109g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 399mg | Potassium: 2267mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 595IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 6.2mg
CURRIED SHRIMP SALAD PITA POCKETS
What it took for 2 pita pockets: As in half a pocket each: Not the whole thing: Okay:
* 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
* 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* juice from half a lemon
* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
* 2 tsp curry powder
* 1 Tbs. freshly minced ginger
* 2 tsp minced shallot
* 1/2 cup chopped green apple
* 1/3 cup dried cranberries
* 1/4 cup coconut shavings, lightly toasted
* 1 whole wheat pita, cut in half
* 1 pinch of coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 2 Tbs. oil, lemon juice, cilantro, curry powder, minced ginger and shallots. If you need to add a Tbs. of water to thin it out, go right ahead.
Heat the remaining Tbs. of oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the shrimp to the pan and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sear on one side for 2 minutes. Flip and sear another minute.
Add the shrimp to the bowl, along with the dried cranberries and toasted coconut. Toss to combine.
Stuff inside a couple of pita pockets and serve with field greens.
*you could easily sub diced chicken or turkey.
Spiced Pita Burgers with Garlic Yogurt Sauce
These pita burgers are absolutely delicious and a perfectly unambitious weeknight dinner with flavor that will make people think you worked hard. With essentially 4 steps (mix the meat, mix the sauce, stuff the pitas, and cook) you can pull this one off in about 40 minutes or less if you play your cards right. The best part, though? You can make these ahead through any step and save them for later. You can mix the meat and/or the sauce the night before and stuff and cook when you get home from work the next day. These even reheat really well in the toaster oven so you could make the whole recipe ahead and heat them up later.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ c. chopped parsley
- ½ t. ground cumin
- ¼ t. ground cinnamon
- ¾ t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ t. kosher salt
- ½ t. red pepper flakes
- 4 pita rounds
Yogurt Garlic Sauce
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ t. kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice from half a medium lemon
- 2 T. chopped parsley
- ¼ chopped cucumber
Mix beef, onion, garlic, parsley, and spices in a bowl. Cover with saran wrap and put in the fridge.
Mix all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce in another bowl and set aside. Refrigerate if not using right away.
When you’re ready to cook, remove the meat filling from the fridge. Cut the pita rounds into half circles and gently pry open to make pockets. Divide the meat mixture into 8 portions and stuff each of the pita pockets, spreading evenly within and flattening with the palm of your hand.
Heat a grill pan or frying pan over medium heat. Spray the pan with nonstick spray and lay the pita burgers in. Cook, flipping halfway through until both sides are crispy and lightly browned. Remove from pan to paper towels to absorb excess grease. Cut each in half again to create wedges. Serve with garlic yogurt sauce.
These burgers are most delicious with 80/20 ground beef, but if you'd like to use a leaner blend consider adding some canola oil to the pan in lieu of the nonstick spray. The extra oil will help crisp up the pita.
BBQ Tofu Pita
- 1 block tofu (pressed)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP (vegan) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 TBSP liquid smoke
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 pitas
- After pressing tofu, cube it.
- Heat olive oil in skillet
- Chop onion, add to skillet
- Chop tomatoes, add to skillet
- Saute 3-5 minutes.
- Add cubed tofu.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir in thoroughly.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to distribute flavor evenly
- Serve warm in a pita
Each SPICY CHICKPEA EDAMAME SALAD PITAS
one is just over 300 calories and they take less than 15 minutes! Even better – there are a bunch of ways for you to customize the recipe.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 to 4 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce, (start with 1 teaspoon and add more to meet your heat preference)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup shelled edamame, (green soy beans)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, finely diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup torn curly lettuce
- 2 thin whole wheat pitas, unsliced
Place chickpeas in a medium bowl and mash with a fork until broken up but still slightly chunky. Stir in yogurt, garlic salt, Sriracha sauce and lemon juice until well combined. Stir in edamame, onion, celery and sun dried tomatoes. Taste mixture and add salt, pepper and more Sriracha sauce if desired.
Divide lettuce evenly between pitas, top with salad and enjoy. If you like a little extra zing in your salad serve the pitas with sliced lemons.
Nutritional Information is an estimate for 1 Filled Pita.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: YIELD: 2 SERVING SIZE: 1 Filled Pita
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 328 TOTAL FAT: 15.6g SATURATED FAT: 0.6g CHOLESTEROL: 1.9mg SODIUM: 289.9mg CARBOHYDRATES: 53g FIBER: 10.3g SUGAR: 8.1g PROTEIN: 20.3g
Nutritional information provided is an estimate generated by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for advice from a professional nutritionist or your doctor.